STUDY IN AUSTRALIA
Australia is one of the world’s leading education powerhouses and features globally renowned facilities and educators.International students are continually enticed by the range of quality study options and excellent lifestyle. Australia is ranked 3rd of the most popular study destination for international students with over 700,000 students enrolled in the universities each year. Australia is also home to 7 out of 100 top universities in the world and 6 of the top 30 best student cities in the world with Melbourne ranked third. It has 1100 institutions and offer more than 22,000 courses.
Post-secondary education in Australia is divided into:
1. Higher education (i.e. the universities, graduate business schools, theological colleges, etc.) An Australian university will provide you with a sound understanding of your chosen field, along with academic skills that can be applied to other areas.
- Undergraduate Bachelor’s Degree (3-4 years) Bachelor’s degree programs prepare you for professional careers and/or postgraduate study. Programs and degree options offered in Australia include a professional degree, double degree, graduate entry degree and Honours degree.
- Postgraduate Master’s Degree (1 to 2 years) In a Master's program, students gain advanced knowledge and skills in a chosen field of study or area of professional practice. Programs include coursework Master's programs, professional Master's programs and research Master's programs.
- Postgraduate Doctoral Degree (3 years) The Doctoral Degree is the highest award offered by Australian universities. Although it is a research degree, some programs may have a course work component.
2. Vocational Education and Training (VET)
Each state has a VET or Technical and Further Education (TAFE) system. VET prepares people for work in a career that does not need a university degree. Each state manages its system and meets at a national level to coordinate their effort. VET is transferable between all states.
- Certificate I to IV (6 months to 2 years) These courses provide introductory skills and training. They teach industry-specific knowledge and skills in communication, literacy and numeracy, and teamwork.
- Diploma, Advanced diploma, Associate degree (1 to 3 years) Diploma, Advanced diploma and Associate degree are considered to be equivalent to one to two years of study at degree level. Diploma and Advanced Diploma are titles given more practical courses, while Associate degree is given to more academic courses.